A security company in the U.S. has provided further evidence that last year’s devastating hacking attack on Sony Pictures Entertainment was carried out by a group with ties to North Korea.
The FBI has already named North Korea as the source of the attack, but some security experts have been skeptical, in part because the FBI didn’t disclose all the details of its investigation.
Sony on Tuesday began taking orders for SmartEyeglass Internet-linked eyewear, moving ahead in the market as Google steps back to revise its Glass strategy.
The offering from the Japanese consumer electronics comes amid growing interest in wearable computing, but also questions about whether consumers will warm to connected eyewear.
Despite documents showing the U.S. National Security Agency has infiltrated North Korean networks, security experts continue to doubt the country orchestrated the cyber-attack on Sony Pictures.
Recent reports alleging that the National Security Agency has infiltrated North Korean networks and collected evidence connecting the country's leadership with the attack on Sony Pictures Entertainment should have settled the question of who was responsible for the brazen breach of the Hollywood studio's data assets. Yet, doubts persist.
The trail that led US officials to blame North Korea for the destructive cyberattack on Sony Pictures Entertainment in November winds back to 2010, when the National Security Agency scrambled to break into the well-guarded computer systems of a country considered one of the most impenetrable targets on earth.
FBI Director James Comey, today, said that the hackers who compromised Sony Pictures Entertainment usually used proxy servers to obfuscate their identity, but "several times they got sloppy."
Speaking today at an event at Fordham University in New York, Comey said, "Several times, either because they forgot or because of a technical problem, they connected directly and we could see that the IPs they were using ... were exclusively used by the North Koreans.